Monday, April 30, 2012

The Wallflower Modern Diner

As my diet changes compose of sticking to gluten free and wheat free food, I looked up some places that offered a gluten-free menu. The Wallflower was one of them. (located at 2420 Main Street).
Bryan and I went there for a late lunch after my work shift on Friday. It was about 1:45pm and the place was just about full, but it also looked like lots were finishing up from the noon lunch rush. We were told to sit wherever we wanted. It took a few minutes before someone actually came over with some menus. Water came 5 mins after.
The decor was very artsy with some statement pieces on the wall

and one wall covered in "wallflowers". You can kinda see it behind Bryan to the right.

On the menu you'll find sandwiches, wraps, salads, some pastas, burgers - the food you usually find in a typical american cuisine restaurant. They have lots of Vegan choices as well. Most things on the menu can be requested to be gluten-free for an extra $1 charge.
Bryan chose the Philly Cheesesteak
Beef, swiss cheese, onions, mushrooms and peppers on garlic toast with au jus on the side. Served with fries. He really liked this sandwich. The garlic bread was nicely toasted and beef was juicy. He said he would definitely order it again. But the fries...yuck! they tasted like the frozen ones that had been heated up. Gross. not fresh at all! He should've went with a soup or salad instead. $12

I opted for the Pesto Foccacia Sandwich, but on gluten-free bread.
So, technically it wasn't foccacia bread. Inside my sandwich was grilled tofu, lettuce, tomato, avocado and cucumber with a side garden salad. nom nom nom! soo good! 

 I loved the PESTO! It went great with the tofu. This was my first time having tofu in a sandwich, but I really like it :) $12 (it was $12 on our bill, so I guess she didn't charge me the extra $1) And the bun was pretty good too. A person not used to gluten-free might think otherwise though! And all the veggies were fresh and crisp.

Our table was small and cramped though. The whole restaurant isn't so big either. I enjoyed my meal, but I'm on the fence on whether or not I should return. Bad fries and cramped table....something to think about I guess. 
Overall, we give The Wallflower a rating of 8 out of 10.
Happy Eating! xoxo,
Dina & Bryan


No comments:

Post a Comment