Monday, February 20, 2012

Burgoo on Main Street

So for our first official food adventure, we decided to go out for lunch at Burgoo on Main St. We've driven by this place many times and always wondered what it would be like inside and how the food tasted.
 Upon arrival, we were seated promptly. Although, I asked to be seated by the window and was informed that they save those spots for groups of 4. There was hardly anyone there at 11:45am, but it did get busy - almost full house- within 15 mins. So, I was fine with being seated elsewhere....until...I saw another couple seated by the window when there was clearly more available seats for 2 inside! ANYWAYS, the whole restaurant was on the smaller side, had a small bar and we felt like we were in a warm cozy cabin which was nice. Our server was okay, after we had ordered and asked for water, our water came after our food! The table beside us, who arrived 10 mins after we did, even got their water and drinks first! So, that ticked us both off. 
Now, time for our FOOD. 
Bryan ordered the Kentucky Burgoo
This dish is a stew of slow-cooked meats with lima beans, corn, tomatoes, cabbage and okra served over garlic mashed potatoes (or you could choose their Burgoo biscuits instead of potatoes)

Bryan gives this dish a solid 8 out of 10. I had a taste of it too and would give it a 8.5! It was really tasty and had that comforting homecooked taste which we both agree on. But what we also agree on is that for $16, it is slightly overpriced. The portion was average. Bryan says he felt full but wasn't totally satisfied, wanting more of something. 

I ordered the "Tastier Chicken" Sandwich with Spinach Salad
The sandwich consisted of roasted chicken, melted brie, apple, cucumber, red onion and greens with house Dijonnaise, served on multigrain bread.
The spinach salad included apple, red onion, bacon and Feta cheese, finished with bacon thyme vinaigrette.

I would give this a 7 out of 10. It tasted average to me, nothing over the top. The chicken was on the dry side and the bread was tough to bite. I had to pieced the bread with my hands or try to cut it with the knife. Although, the Dijonnaise sauce in the sandwich was quite unique in taste. I feel like I could have made this easily at home for much cheaper than $12. My hunger was satisfied, but could have left happier. 

When it was time to end our meal and pay for the bill (which came up to $31.36) I paid with debit and she came to the table and after I had punched in everything, as she handed me the receipt, all we got was a "there you go" and left. No goodbyes, have-a-good-day , notta. I must've said thanks more than 5 times. How rude of her!! It's not like we didnt tip. Considering the water  and seating issue, $2.64 was quite generous, imo.
All in all, we we're glad to have tried Burgoo, but we're most definitely never going back. Too expensive for our taste and service was lacking. 
Hope you find this critique helpful!! And if you've had better experiences here, we'd like to know!!
Overall Burgoo gets a rating: 5 out of 10
Happy Eating! xoxo
Dina & Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment