Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Solly's

There are 3 Solly's Bagels, Bakery and Deli locations in Vancouver. On this particular trip we visited their location at 368 W 7th Avenue on the corner of Yukon close to Cambie Street. My boss actually always buys bagels from here and so we decided to try them.

Solly's bagelry is a Jewish family bakery and deli. From what we saw, they offered lots of Jewish pastries, soups, other traditional foods and of course their bagels! Their bagels are 'boiled and baked in the traditional way' which makes them dense and chewy.

As Bryan and I walked inside the store, we had a feeling of entering someone's home; the atmosphere was friendly and inviting. So many choices to make! We waited in line for about 5-8 minutes though, I was starting to get impatient and then they made me repeat our order like 3 times because the first guy at the till didn't write it down and then went to go make it on the other side of the store. ANYways, it was a bit of a mess at first, but I'm willing to let it go because the food was just too good!
I chose the 'staff pick' of the day: plain bagel with Herb and Sundried Tomato shmear (low fat cream cheese) topped with red onion and tomato. $2.85
Oh.my.goodness. That was one frikin delicious bagel!!! I'm drooling now just looking at it! The bagel was moist tender perfection and the shmear!!-it was sooo delicious! everything about it, i loved! 

Bryan ordered Smoked Salmon shmear on a parmesan something bagel (can't exactly remember the bagel). $3.35
This one looks plain, but it was oh so tasty! smoked salmon shmear! mouth-watering on top of the hot bagel.

For desserts, we also got a cinnamon bun $2.85
They're supposedly the best cinnamon buns in town. They look kinda blah in this photo, but it was a pretty good bun. You can add cream cheese icing for an extra charge. It's best when it's warmed up too. It was really sweet and cinnamony on its own without the icing. I don't know if it's the best thought, I guess it depends how you like your cinnamon bun.
 
And to take home we ordered a Chocolate Babka Bun $2.95
We couldn't resist! We actually liked this one better than their cinnamon bun. It was so soft, sweet, chocolatey, moist and oh so good! almost sinful! If you love chocolate like I do, you'll definitely love this! It was huge too! Definitely big enough to share between two people (same with the cinnamon bun).

If you haven't already, go grab a midday snack or lunch at Solly's. You really won't be disappointed! I think it's almost a bad thing that I work near one of their other locations, I'll be going all the time!! ....but maybe not such a bad thing.. =)

Solly's gets a solid 9 out of 10 rating.

Happy Eating, xoxo,
Dina & Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment